Sunday, September 16, 2007
"Oh the Changes..."
For the past twenty something years computers and technology have been an instrument used within school classrooms. Over this period of time, many things have evolved and changed, including teaching strategy. There are many different approaches to teaching of which a teacher may follow in their classroom. In my point of view, or at least when it comes to my classroom, I except my students to take responsibility for their own education just as much if not more than me. In reading "Oh the Changes...", the section dedicated to "sense makers" (p.7) reminded me of the type of teacher and strategy I lean towards taking. In my Education 350 class, we explored the different teaching characteristics we think we will follow in our own classroom and what type of a teacher the majority of our answers are categorized into. My teaching style was classified as "Post Modernist", where I take an answer or topic out of it's common context and relate it to multiple other subjects or concepts. This follows the idea that perhaps there is sometimes no one right reason only. In the "Sense makers" column (p.7) of the reading it begins with "My teacher lets us work independently because she knows we have a plan. She's there if we need her." In today's classroom technology can support the learner in many ways. An example from the reading of technology used in learning and teaching is, when writing a paper if you mess up you don't need to erase it or throw away the paper. In the classroom, a student may mess up and find help through the computer or Internet and carry on with the task. Or, as a teacher, I may assist the student, and when back on track, there is time saved to continue rather than begin all over again. I think technology in the classroom creates an efficient setting and allows for more production within it. I hope that my students can facilitate in their own learning in my classroom with the help of technology and themselves, as much as the help from me. As I will do myself and learn from them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment