i movie is a fun tool that can be integrated into the classroom and used for educational purposes. In reading the article "Splicing Video into the Writing Process" By Tammy Pandina Scot and Diane Harding September 2004, learning how to use i movie and, creating a video with my classmates, I have a better understanding of what this tool is, how it works and why videos are a good learning strategy for teachers to employ in their classrooms.
i movie is a tool on MAC computers that allows you to create and edit movies. In learning this tool, I began with a clip off of American idol and downloaded it on to i movie. From here I sectioned off different clips within the clip and rearranged them for a more comical piece. In playing around with this tool I discovered there are fun animation and audio effects that can be edited into the clips. Subtitles, credits and titles can also be added into the piece. There are many options within i movie to edit and create a movie that can be fun for students to utilize while learning. Using this tool has given me a new perspective on incorporating video into lessons. Not only did I learn about our topic, or actually brush up on the topic which was the "three phases of water", I learned how to use a new technology. In introducing this technology to a lesson, I believe students will enjoy learning the lesson and technology. Creating a product that displays what students have learned will allow students to have an immediate sense of satisfaction and accomplishment which will further their interest in learning.
When I was reading the article it occurred to me that the students referred to were in grade five. As a college student and future teacher, this is my first exposure ever to i movie. It is obvious that I will be teaching students who may have better skills with this technology than I, at this point. However, this is why it is important that I get a firm grasp on this technology as to become a more effective teacher. Besides how much catching up I need to do, I learned how not only does video creation engage the students in creating a product which displays a subject or topic but, how the actual process in creating the script and organizing the movie actually forces the students to understand the topic matter and technology. Preparation and brainstorming allows students to practice their creativity establish individual ideas and decide what facts are more important than others. It allows students to really think about what they have learned instead of brushing it off which is what happens in many cases.
Taking a deeper look into the creation of the video, group cooperation is as key a factor as learning the material individually is. Working as a group productively is important and it can be up to the teacher how well this happens. The reading on page 28 states "We group students very carefully to ensure they stay on task and work well together". This reminds me that how productive the students are in learning is as much up to me as it is up to them.
I think using i movie and other similar tools as a means of education is a great way to teach students individual responsibility, technology, subject matter, cooperation, commitment and so many other characteristics that will reflect into their futures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment